- Update on The Baker, written and directed by Gareth Lewis and starring Damian Lewis (also a producer):
» The film will be theatrically released in the UK by Verve Pictures on Friday, February 29th premiering at the Ritzy Picturehouse in Brixton. ➡
» The region 2 DVD for The Baker will be released in the UK on March 3rd and is now available for pre-order from the BBC Shop and Amazon.co.uk. The region 2 DVD is currently available from Hungary (with both original English and Hungarian-dubbed versions.)
» The British Board of Film Classification site rates the film as “12A” and offers some details about the plot (spoilers!)
» Fans are encouraged to vote for The Baker on IMDb and other entertainment industry sites as soon as they have the chance to see it. The viewer comment below was recently posted on IMDb by dlfan123 (spoilers!).
The Baker is weird, wonderful, and hilariously funny!
30 January 2008
I am often a bit leery of the term “black comedy” because it is sometimes used to describe films that I find strange and unfunny – but that is not the case with Gareth Lewis’s wonderful new comedy The Baker. This clever film made me smile, laugh, guffaw, and just plain feel good! It also made me wonder about the kind of mind that could conceive such an unusual story. It is about a reformed Hit Man hiding out as a village baker and searching for love and a “normal life” – in a town where the villagers are far from normal! The story is different and funny but never tasteless or dumb. All the cast members are wonderful – especially The Baker played by Damian Lewis who sets just the right note as he convincingly portrays a paid killer, an inept baker, and a sweet, nervous, nice guy who thinks everyone deserves a second chance. I highly recommend The Baker and look forward to future films from Gareth Lewis, an inventive and entertaining writer/director with a wicked sense of humor!
» Click here to view the trailer for The Baker online at the Bankside Films site.
- Pay-TV network AXN recently began broadcasting episodes of Life starring Damian Lewis in Spain and in a few months the program will also be aired on the free-TV network Telecinco in Spain; click here for more information.
- According to the Film Directors Association site Rupert Wyatt’s new film The Escapist featuring Damian Lewis is still scheduled for theatrical release in the UK on April 11th; but Helen McCrory’s new film with Daniel Craig titled Flashbacks of a Fool is now scheduled to open on April 18th.
- In the US The History Channel will offer a marathon broadcast of all 10 episodes of Band of Brothers starring Damian Lewis on February 9th and 10th.
- Damian Lewis’s birthday is February 11th; click here to find out what you can do to honor this fine artist and take part in the celebration!