- Variety reports that European and Australian distribution agreements have been finalized for The Escapist featuring Damian Lewis! ➡
‘Escapist’ heads across Europe
Rialto takes Australia
By ADAM DAWTREY
Wed., Feb. 6, 2008
“Rupert Wyatt’s prison drama “The Escapist,” which premiered at Sundance, has struck a multi-territory distribution deal across Europe and Australia. Mirjam Wertheim of Orange Entertainment brokered the acquisition for the Indie Circle group of distribs — Lucky Red in Italy, Haut et Court in France, Cineart in Benelux and Frenetic Films in Switzerland — along with Sandrew Metronome in Scandinavia and Rialto in Australia.
Pic was sold by Goalpost Films. It will be released late April in the U.K. via Vertigo Films.”
- Mark Bell’s review of The Escapist for Film Threat says:
“…On top of the tried-and-true prison genre formula coupled with the misfit gang formula, Rupert Wyatt’s “The Escapist” flips everything on its ear by playing out in two timelines simultaneously… This brilliant spin on the narrative elevates the film into the higher echelon of the genre flicks, and in a way moves the film so far beyond that it almost feels like a disservice to call it a prison film. At the same time, when a film does a genre so right, it’s hardly a disservice to celebrate it…
… “The Escapist” is a film worth seeking out, for both its fresh re-invention of the prison film genre and the absolute clinic on acting put on by Brian Cox and the rest of the actors in the film (not a weak link among them).”
- Click here and here to vote for Life in two Peoples Choice “Buzz” Polls.
- The Personal Pineapple site has posted a new Re-Watch Page for What They Saw (episode 4 of Life – spoilers!)
- On February 29th The Baker (starring and produced by Damian Lewis) will premiere in the UK at the Ritzy Picturehouse in Brixton. Members of the cast and crew will attend and Damian’s fans are asked to turn out to support the film.
The Baker will be released in the UK on March 3rd on region 2 DVD.
Once you have seen the film please rate and comment about The Baker on IMDb and other film industry sites.
- February 11th is fast approaching and supporters of Damian Lewis’s are celebrating his birthday by performing kind or charitable acts in his honor; click here for more information.