- Click above to watch a collection of “Charlie Crews Quotes” from season 1 that were posted on YouTube by AmandaBear1988. It may some offer temporary relief for your acute Life withdrawal symptoms! 🙁
Don’t forget to add your signature to the petition to move Life to the USA Network!
- Thanks to GroovMonkey for sharing this link for the July 16th Australian theatrical release of The Escapist with Damian Lewis.
The Escapist was recently released in New Zealand and Graeme Tuckett of the Dominion Post calls the film “a highly recommended thriller” and said that :
Debutant director Rupert Wyatt has scored himself a Hollywood directing contract with this film, and I am not surprised. The Escapist does everything a prison thriller should do, with a minimum of fuss.
Blogger Brad Kreft from New Zealand raved about The Escapist saying:
The director wields suspense with the skill and potency of Hitchcock, heightening the intensity of scenes with manipulative camera-angles and a flawless use of sound. This uncanny control of the audience may be one of the hardest boxes to tick on the filmmaker’s checklist, yet this task is accomplished with ease throughout. While suspense may be the director’s signature play, a twist ending is his victory salute. Possessing a final-scene plot twist worthy of rivaling The Sixth Sense in surprise factor, The Escapist concludes with a final triumphant punch from the filmmakers who know they have created a brilliant film.
In the US The Escapist is available as a “Video On Demand” TV feature through June 30, 2009.
Category: The Escapist
- Click above to watch the outrageously funny love scene from The Baker starring Damian Lewis and Kate Ashfield. The clip was posted on YouTube by Aiwe78.
- Hello! magazine featured this article about the Damian Lewis Family’s participation in “The Big Toddle” charity event on May 21st.
- Damian Lewis fans in New Zealand have a chance to win 5 free, double passes to see The Escapist. The film opens theatrically in NZ on May 28th and the Dominion Post is hosting the contest that will end at 9am on Thursday, May 28th. E-mail your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Escapist Draw Page B6” in the subject line and include your contact details in the body of the message. Click here for a review for the NZ release and click here for more information about the contest. Thanks to Ann for the news!
- In the UK, The Escapist will be screen in Leeds at Screen Seven on June 8, 2009.
- There are now almost 3,500 signatures on the petition to “Move LIFE to the USA Network”; please consider adding your name and asking other Life Fans to sign.
- On Monday, May 25th “Memorial Day” will be celebrated in the US to honor all the service men and women that have given their lives in military combat. In recognition of this important date HBO On-Demand is offering all 10 episodes of Band of Brothers at no charge to cable and satellite HBO subscribers. The first 5 episodes are currently available and the final 5 will be added on Memorial Day. All episodes will be available for on-demand viewing through June 7, 2009.
To find the episodes Comcast subscribers should go to:
On Demand > Premium Channels > HBO > Series > Band of Brothers
Band of Brothers is the Emmy-winning, epic HBO 2001 mini-series produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. Damian Lewis was nominated for a “Best Leading Actor” Golden Globe award for his brilliant portrayal of real-life, war hero Major Richard Winters. You can download and view clips featuring Damian Lewis from the 2002 Golden Globe Awards and from the series’ premiere on the Multimedia page.
Click here for a recent interview with Band of Brothers co-star Michael Cudlitz that includes comments about filming Band of Brothers and also about his guest appearances on Life starring Damian Lewis (warning, mild profanity!)
- Thanks to June for the information that director Peter Kosminsky will make a guest appearance on the
South Bank Show tonight on ITV1. Kosminsky directed Damian Lewis, Ioan Gruffudd, Matthew Macfadyen, and Jodhi May in the BAFTA-winning 1999 mini-series Warriors which was Damian’s first major role in an acclaimed BBC production.
- Damian Lewis is mentioned in this Guardian Independent article about the game of Ping Pong as the new craze among Hollywood celebrities. Last year Damian gave a Ping Pong table to the cast and crew of Life and in this Washington Post article Damian is quoted as saying that if he hadn’t become an actor he would have liked to have been a “professional Ping Pong player.”
- Season 2 of Life starring Damian Lewis will launch in Switzerland on Schweiz 2 on May 22nd, and in Germany on Vox on May 20th, and in
France on TF1 on May 20th.
- Director Rupert Wyatt gave this interview for the May 28th New Zealand release of The Escapist featuring Damian Lewis.
- You can download and listen to Helen McCrory here in the 1995 radio production of the Last of the Mohicans.
- Season 2 of Life starring Damian Lewis will run in the UK on ITV3 beginning June 3rd; click here for more information.
- More details are available for the Region 1 (North American) DVD for Life – Season 2 that will be released in the US on August 25th:
The DVD will include all 21 episodes for season 2 in anamorphic widescreen with a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track. Commentary tracks will be offered for selected episodes and some deleted scenes will also be included.
- In this interview, Lord Jeffrey Archer discusses his efforts to find financial backing to make a film of Paths of Glory, his book about George Mallory, the great British explorer that died mysteriously on Mt. Everest in 1924. The interview includes these comments about the actors most suitable to play Mallory:
Given the choice, who would he see playing the role of George Mallory, the hero of his latest yarn? Pat, he rattles off a wishlist: “Christian Bale, Paul Bettany, Damian Lewis.”
Why these three? “Well”, he quips, “George Mallory was a very-good looking man. Heaven help the actors. He’d have to be strong enough to span Mt Everest and be good looking as well.”
Click here and here for more information about Archer’s Paths of Glory and Damian Lewis as a candidate for the role of George Mallory.
- This week Adrian Sturges, the producer for The Escapist and The Baker starring Damian Lewis, is participating in the “Producers on the Move” programme at the Cannes International Film Festival. According to this Screen Daily article the international distribution rights for his new film The Disappearance of Alice Creed have been acquired by West End Films.
- More exciting news from Cannes, Rupert Wyatt, director of The Escapist will direct Keanu Reeves in a new thriller titled “Cartagena”.
- Reminders! Alex Rider: Operation Stormbreaker with Damian Lewis is airing on Cinemax during May and June.
And don’t forget that Damian will perform the voice of “Agent 00 0” in Phineas and Ferb’s new adventure titled “Elementary, My Dear Stacy” on The Disney Channel on May 15, 16, 20, 30, and 31 2009.
- The Escapist with Damian Lewis is currently playing in Fort Lauderdale, FL at the Cinema Paradiso; click here for a review of the film from the New Times Broward-Palm Beach.
This Australian review of The Escapist was recently featured in the Catholic Leader.
- Click here for Jeff Hall’s review of the soundtrack for The Escapist. The film’s music was created by Benjamin Wallfisch and can now be purchased as an online download. The CD has been delayed but it is currently available for pre-order with a May 19th release date.
- The Escapist is currently playing at the Living Room Theater in Portland, OR and it will open in Fort Lauderdale, FL on May 13th at the Cinema Paradiso.
- In the US The Escapist is also available as an “on demand” pay-per-view movie under IFC In Theaters.
- Click here for a review of the The Escapist from Portland and click here for a review from New Zealand.
- Click here for the TV Guide listing for Disney’s Phineas and Ferb episode titled “Elementary, My Dear Stacy” that will air on Friday, May 15th at 8:30pm ET (following “Day of the Living Gelatin!”) Damian Lewis makes a guest voice appearance in “Elementary, My Dear Stacy” as Secret Agent Double 0 0!
- Reminder! Keane starring Damian Lewis will air in the US on the Sundance Channel on May 12th at 1pm with repeats on May 20th and 30th.
- Thanks to Ryanne for the news that The History Channel will run a Band of Brothers marathon on May 23 and 24.
- Thanks to Bashfulbadger for the news that the UK’s ITV network is now running “coming soon to ITV3” promos for Life: Season Two starring Damian Lewis. So far, no date has been given for the season premiere.
- An unconfirmed report in Film Guide says that actor Tom Cruise has asked Damian Lewis to co-star in his new film, a World War II movie based on The Man Who Never Was, a true story about the work of British Intelligence during the war.
- Click here and here for reports of Brian Cox’s appearance at the Independent Film Festival of Boston screening of The Escapist with Damian Lewis.
- The Sundance Channel’s schedule now shows five dates in May for US broadcasts of Keane starring Damian Lewis:
» Sunday May 3 at 4:15PM
» Thursday May 7 at 1PM
» Tuesday May 12 at 1PM
» Wednesday May 20 at 2:50PM
» Saturday May 30 at 1PM
- Damian Lewis is mentioned in this Evening Standard article about the theatrical arts program at Eton.
- Thank you to Linda from the Major Dick Winters site for uploading scans of the “Deluxe Edition” of the new Easy Co. 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment – In Photographs publication autographed by Damian Lewis.
- Click here to sign a petition asking NBC executives to renew Life starring Damian Lewis for a 3rd season.
- Vote to keep Life on the air in Zap2it’s “TV Shows On The Bubble” poll.
- Jeff Simon of the Buffalo News wrote thisarticle in favor of keeping Life on US television.
- The BBC’s web site now lists the details of Damian Lewis’s upcoming guest host appearance on Have I Got News For You!. The show will air in the UK on Friday, May 1st at 21:00 on BBC One.
An extended version of the program titled Have I Got A Bit More News For You will run on May 2nd at 22:30 on BBC Two and will feature additional footage not included in the original broadcast.
- The Escapist with Damian Lewis will screen in Fort Lauderdale, Florida at the Cinema Paradiso from May 13 through May 17, 2009.
- The Escapist is now available on Region 2 DVD and Blu-ray in Denmark; click here and here for more information.
- The Escapist is currently available as a “Video On Demand” feature in the UK and the US.
- Thanks to GroovMonkey for sharing her Charlie Crews fanart with us.
- The musical score for The Escapist (Benjamin Wallfisch, composer) will be released on CD on May 5, 2009 and is now available for pre-order. The soundtrack is currently available for MP3 download.
- Click here for info about Damian Lewis’s guest host appearance on “Have I Got News For You” on May 1, 2009 on BBC One.
- Click here for the updated “global release dates” for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince featuring Helen McCrory at Narcissa Malfoy. The film will be released in the US and Canada on July 15, 2009 and in the UK on July 17th.
- Wikipedia has a summary page for “Elementary, My Dear Stacy” the Phineas and Ferb episode featuring the voice of Damian Lewis as “Agent Double 0 0.” The episode will air in the US on May 15th on the Disney Channel.
- Click above to view a great Life music video from Shervin titled “It’s My Life”
- Nominations have been announced for Britain’s 54th Ivor Novello Awards to “celebrate the outstanding writing achievements of songwriters, composers and their music publishers.” Congratulations to composer Benjamin Wallfisch on his nomination for “Best Original Film Score” for The Escapist. The awards ceremony will take place on Thursday May 21, 2009 at Grosvenor House in London.
- Click here to purchase tickets for screenings of The Baker starring Damian Lewis at the 42nd Worldfest International Independent Film Festival in Houston. The Baker will screen at 7:00 pm CT and 9:00 pm CT at the AMC Studio 30 Theaters on Dunvale on Saturday, April 25, 2009.
- Episodes of Life – Season One are currently airing on Austria’s ORF network.